Sunday, December 2, 2007

Why do they still lock game CDs?

Game hacks and cracks are usually out within a week or two. Sometimes they are available before games are out. I am still wondering why companies are spending money on preventing copies of their CDs. I don't know how many stupid people there are and by stupid I mean the ones that can't go on internet and do a simple google search. I am talking about a 'XYZ no cd crack'. It doesn't look very hard, does it? The downside of this is legal users have to suffer. They have to push in their CDs each time they want to play a game, and of course one day their CDs are no good because all scratching and everything.

Once I asked my manager if we needed to obfuscate our code so that nobody can hack into it. He pointed at one our colleagues and said look at him---he was decompiling a flash code---there is billions and billions of these people. The only way we can be ahead of them is to be literally ahead of them by developing faster than they can hack.

No comments: